Friday, January 29, 2010

Nature is not temporary but we are






Craig Wolfe photography

My first read-through of Dorothy Wordsworth's "Floating Island" was mmm . . .I wasn't especially enraptured by it. I decided to try again by reading it out loud to myself.  By the end of the first stanza it was excruciatingly clear the spareness of words was obvious and . . .I heard myself talking out loud, "This makes all the sense in the world." 

Harmonious Powers with Nature work
On sky, earth, river, lake, and sea:
Sunshine and storm, whirlwind and breeze
All in one duteous task agree.

In this first stanza Wordsworth focused on describing the physical state of the highest power, our known Universe-the World and some of its components: sky, earth, the forces of its nature, and how they all work harmoniously together, to bring us quite a world to live in.  Wordsworth's use of the Universe and its interconnected components sets the stage for the reader to think: how powerful, what an awe-inspiring world.
 
She then imagines or sees, ". . .a slip of earth. . .loosed from its hold. . .see it float. . .obedient to the wind.” Vivid imagery. . .of a piece of Earth coming off in some mysterious way and it changed into something light enough to float on the wind. The imagination soars.

Once did I see a slip of earth,
By throbbing waves long undermined,
Loosed from its hold; -- how no one knew
But all might see it float, obedient to the wind.

She imagines or sees the piece of Earth on the Lake, where more creatures of the universe reside, thrive and share a world:

Might see it, from the mossy shore
Dissevered float upon the Lake,
Float, with its crest of trees adorned
On which the warbling birds their pastime take.

She describes life's basic needs: "Food, shelter, safety. . ." that the birds and all other living creatures find in Nature, at the lake. The call to fundamental needs that all living things share, invokes strong feelings in the reader -- We all need these! She paints a tranquil, sublime Nature scene from where the reader can find stillness, which then gives rise to “Big R” higher, more powerful emotions.

She goes on to infer, although the birds live here, so do we (interconnectedness again) and how the world as we know it, "A peopled world it is. . ." is but a tiny world in the great scheme of the infinite universe.” She reminds us we share the same needs and space with all living creatures. This calls in the “devotion to beauty; the worship of Nature.” She moves us to think our world, large as we can know it to be, could in fact, be very, very small in the scheme of the infinite universe. And how we might be connected to the larger universe and its unknown components.

Food, shelter, safety there they find
There berries ripen, flowerets bloom;
There insects live their lives -- and die:
A peopled world it is; in size a tiny room.

Skipping a few stanzas Wordsworth closes out by describing how we might be taking a Nature walk on a pleasant day and notice a piece of our familiar physical world, perhaps a landmark, gone, without any forewarning. We may not know where it went, what it became, but we can be sure it's continuing the preordained cycle of life by dissolving to a fragment of something else, to begin the cycle all over again. Again, the worship and devotion of nature and its powerful and sublime beauty; a call to the reader's imagination.

Perchance when you are wandering forth
Upon some vacant sunny day
Without an object, hope, or fear,
Thither your eyes may turn -- the Isle is passed away.

Buried beneath the glittering Lake!
Its place no longer to be found,
Yet the lost fragments shall remain,
To fertilize some other ground.

Side bar: Wordsworth's poem conjured up a strong recollection. I lived on the East Coast in the mid-1990s. I was away from home during the great December 1998 Northwest floods which created havoc in every possible way with people, their plans, the physical world. Everyone at home was inconvenienced, all pre- and post-holiday plans had to be changed and the flood had to be “dealt with.” Most of my family lives in Oregon and Washington, so I was given many stories and pictures describing their experiences with the great flood.

The description of their experiences were words to me until the day I drove the Columbia River Gorge from Portland to Eastern Oregon in May, following the floods. I was startled beyond any words I have yet to find, when I saw that the shape of the Columbia River bed by Cascade Locks had altered noticeably. The curve had turned more snake-like, sharper, and the river's shore was now much closer to the road.

The flood and all its power, had dramatically changed a piece of nature which I had enjoyed all my driving life. I had always been able to predict the next curve and therefore go on a slight autopilot to enjoy the amazing Gorge views of river and cliffs. I had always felt until the moment I took the slight right turn onto the short stretch of road where the river bed changed, that Nature was a good thing. I had felt most secure in my familiarity of the road. Until that moment when I discovered the unexpected changes, it had been my road.

When I saw the river's bank now fixed much closer to the road, I was unexpectedly afraid, startled, disoriented, completely and wholy undone. I understood right then, right there, this was not my road, I am merely borrowing it and its experience. I felt to my depth, how HUGE and POWERFUL nature is and how truly small, really temporary, I am. Thanks Dorothy Wordsworth!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your personal description of your thoughts on nature. I thought your testimony was similar to the way I interpreted "Floating Island." We are temporary and nature is more bad ass than we can ever hope to be. And thank you so much for your fact sheet. I thought you did a really great job. I love hearing what everyone has to say in their presentations. It's a great way to begin class, with a personal delivery of interesting material before interesting discussions on amazing bodies of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She describes life's basic needs: 'Food, shelter, safety. . .' that the birds and all other living creatures find in Nature, at the lake. The call to fundamental needs that all living things share, invokes strong feelings in the reader -- We all need these! She paints a tranquil, sublime Nature scene from where the reader can find stillness, which then gives rise to 'Big R' higher, more powerful emotions."

    I completely agree! I thought this poem really played into the emotions and nature-loving elements of the Romanticist movement.

    I also agree with Kristi - I LOVED your presentation yesterday! You seemed genuinely amazed with him, and I was really impressed. The death mask was kind of gross, but pretty intriguing too, it definitely made the fact sheet different from everyone else's!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post, especially bringing out the points where we (creatures) all share needs and space, and "borrow" this from nature (I think how you termed it). The anecdote was also entertaining.

    --adam

    ReplyDelete
  4. good post, Deb. the anecdote was especially apt, as well!

    ReplyDelete